Thursday, March 15, 2012

Review: Cinder

 Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)
Cinder by Marissa Meyer(Goodreads)
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Release Date: January 3,2012
Page Count: 387
Challenge: 2012 Debut Author Challenge

                                         Synopsis:
Humans and Androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl.
 Cinder a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets from her past in order to protect her world's future.

                                      My Thoughts:

I was skeptical about reading this book at first since it's a retelling of Cinderella as a cyborg but I'm so glad that I gave it a chance because it's AWESOME! I really enjoyed all of the characters but my favorites were Cinder( she's kind of a bad@$$) and Iko( I loved her personality and personally thought she was adorable). Marissa Meyer did a great job developing all of her characters.
 I really enjoyed how Marissa Meyer took a classic like Cinderella and turned it into a really great dystopian/science fiction novel. The only thing I wished was different is that she would have been a little bit more descriptive with the setting of New Beijing but that is such a small con IMO when it comes to this book.
 I also loved the romance between Cinder and Prince Kai because it wasn't the usual insta-love that you normally see in YA literature. It was gradual and made me so excited for them when they both finally realized that they loved each other. 
 I will admit that even though I gave this book 5 stars on goodreads that I really didn't like the way this book ended. I feel that a little bit more should have been resolved before the conclusion of the book book. Despite the ending of Cinder I'm really looking forward to the 2013 release of Scarlet which will feature both Cinder and Red Riding Hood =)





1 comment:

  1. I loved this book as well! Totally agree with your thoughts about the ending too. Can't wait for Scarlet!

    ReplyDelete